In addition to the numerous photographs published on the battlefield in our recent publication 'Quatre Bras, Perponcher's gamble' it is perhaps also interesting for our readers to have an idea of all the monuments present today, which commemorate the soldiers who fought here on 16 June 1815. Most of these monuments can be found around the crossroads along the road leading to Nivelles or a little south on the battlefiel and one is not even present in Belgium!
The stone plaque for all Netherlands troops was once placed in the wall of the large barn at the crossroads, but since several years has been removed to preserve and display at a later date. Its text reads: In memory of the Netherlanders and their Allied defenders of Quatre Bras 15-16-VI-1815. This photograph was kindly donated by Dominique Timmermans from Belgium, vice-president of the Association pour la Conservation des Monuments Napoléoniens, which is a socieity that works hard for the preservation and restauration of the numerous monuments related to the Napoleonic period all over Europe. (direct link photograph)
(Look here to find out more on a new monument at Quatre Bras, unvailed in 2014)
On 22 June 1926 a monument for the Belgian troops was inaugurated by Lieutenant-General De Selliers de Moranville. Originaly a combined monument for both Dutch & Belgian troops had been planned since 1912, but the First World War intervened and in the meantime a monument was erected in The Hague of the Prince of Orangeon horse back in 1924. As not only the battles of Quatre Bras and Waterloo were remembered as feats of the prince, but also his involvement in the Ten Days Campaign in August 1831 against the Belgians fighting for independance, it was decided that Belgium erected its own monument for 1815. It was first planned to be built near the Gémioncourt farm, but as its owners did not cooperate, was finally placed along the road toward Nivelles. The text on the Belgian monument reads: In memory of the Belgians killed in the battle of Quatre Bras for the defence of the flag and the honour of all arms. On the left side of the monument an additional text reads: They fought like lions against troops superior in number.
A little down the road leading south to Charleroi a mounument was inaugurated on 16 June 1890 to honour the Duke of Brunswick, who was killed during the battle and fell nearby. The text reads: Friedrich-Wilhelm, Duke of Brunswick and Luneburg fell not far of this place while fighting in the lead of his troops, 16 June 1815. On the back side of the monument another text is engraved, which reads: In memory of the heroes and the fallen warriors with them for Germany. The fatherland remembers. Today this monument needs urgent restauration and everyone interested can surely help by purchasing a brochure on the monument for a small amount of money, which is entirely destined to restore the duke's monuments into full glory again. It is written by the Belgian historian Alain Arcq and published by Historic'One.
When we return to the crossroads and the road to Nivelles, there is a modern monument for the Dutch-Belgian cavalry regiments that fought alongside in the campaign of 1815 in the same army. It was inaugurated on 21 September 1990 and every year official commemorations are held to honour the old comrades who fell or were wounded in 1815.
Opposite the previous one, a monument for the British and Hanoverian troops was inaugurated by the 8th Duke of Wellington on 7 June 2002.
Last but not least in 1988 a plaque was inaugurated at the gate of the Gémioncourt farm in memory of the French soldiers. Its text reads: In memory of the soldiers of the Grande Armée who fell in front of these walls 16 June 1815.